Buying baby crib bedding sets seems simple enough until one sees the many choices that have to be made in the process. There are so many types of bedding, patterns, and components to choose from that it can be overwhelming, especially for first-time parents who still have no idea what they’re doing. The best way to do this is to consider the baby’s comfort and safety before anything else. That should whittle the choices down to a select few which gives them exactly what they want and need for their baby. Here are a few tips for choosing the perfect crib beddings:
- Choose age appropriate beddings – Some components of baby beddings can be considered choking or suffocation hazards to newborns and infants who are only a few months old. Younger babies don’t need crib bumpers just yet because they don’t move around too much and the laces used to tie them to the crib railings may raise safety concerns. Also, if shopping for a newborn, it is not advisable to buy blankets, comforters, pillows and other loose items for the baby. Instead of blankets to keep the baby warm at night, use infant sacks or sleepers that are specially designed to keep babies warm while allowing them to breathe comfortably.
- Keep beddings or sheets snug – Beddings that are too loose or too small for the mattress can cause it to come undone when the baby moves. This can be dangerous because loose beddings can lead to suffocation. A fitted sheet that’s just the right size to cover the mattress and have the edges tucked under it should do. If the sheet is a little too big, elastic straps that keep the edges in place at the bottom of the mattress could help keep it in place.
- Choose the right fabric for the nursery’s temperature – Infants have a hard time regulating their own temperature and beddings play a big role in doing that for them. If the nursery is a bit warm, breathable fabrics such as cotton would do just nicely to keep the baby comfortable. In colder temperatures, use a flannel-backed mattress pad underneath the sheets to add warmth.
- Make sure that the beddings are machine washable – Babies are no different from older kids in a sense that messes are inevitable. Having extra sheets to use is great, but at times one or two extra sheets won’t be enough. The best sheets to have are those made with fabrics that are machine washable. That way the beddings can be thrown in the washer to get it cleaned right away.
Choosing the perfect baby crib beddings set isn’t just about what colors would blend nicely with the color of the nursery walls or what patterns look cute. It is also about what the baby needs in order to sleep safely and soundly at night. Once the safety and comfort concerns have been addressed, the task of picking out the right beddings for the crib becomes much easier.
- Buying Hand-Me-Down Baby Outfit
- The Big Stuff Baby Products
- Your Baby’s Crib Bedding
- Your Basic Checklist for Baby Products
- Choosing Your Baby’s Crib Bedding