There are so many baby products out in the market today. Baby specialty stores have everything from a wide array of pacifiers to complete baby crib bedding sets and figuring out what the baby really needs can get a little bit complicated. To make things simple, here are some essential items every home with an infant should have:
- Car Seats – Parents can’t bring their newborns home from the hospital without a car seat. That’s how important they are. Parents can choose from rear-facing car seats made especially for newborns up to 12 months of age or convertible car seats that change from rear-facing to front-facing with just a few adjustments so the baby can use the same car seat for a longer period of time.
- Feeding Gear – Age appropriate feeding bottles and other items needed in order to keep babies nourished is high on the essentials list for obvious reasons. The items needed for feeding aren’t just limited to feeding bottles. There are also feeding pillows which keep both the child and the parent comfortable while bottle feeding. Breast pumps, absorbent breast pads, and other breastfeeding accessories are also needed to keep both baby and mommy happy. Lastly, make sure there’s enough supply of clean burp cloths which would protect the parent’s clothing from spit ups when burping the infant.
- Age-progressing clothing – Stocking up on infant clothes isn’t a good idea. Babies grow so fast that they outgrow their clothes before they even get to wear them all. Most baby shower gifts would include clothes for smaller infants, so it’s a good idea to prepare for when the child gets older and bigger. Baby clothing isn’t limited to onesies and baby shirts. Parents should also have booties, mittens, baby bonnets and other accessories on hand when they need them.
- Diapers – Running out of disposable diapers in the middle of the night can be an inconvenience, so parents must make sure that they have enough supply of diapers at home at all times. The same goes for cloth diapers. Parents should make sure that there are enough clean ones to last the night. Pre-stocking diaper bags with at least one or two diapers is also great in case the family has to leave in a hurry.
- Beddings – Sleeping is something that a baby does often, especially while they’re still young. Make sure that the crib or bassinet has the proper beddings that are both safe and comfortable for the baby. A simple flat sheet on a crib mattress is enough for newborns and infants younger than 12 months. Complete baby crib bedding sets can be set aside until the baby is old enough to use blankets and other loose beddings that are considered harmful to the younger ones.
The items listed above may seem obvious and basic, but it’s surprising how many parents get too excited about their baby’s arrival that they tend to forget the essentials. It’s always a good idea to have the basics and then build things up from there.
- Buying Hand-Me-Down Baby Outfit
- The Big Stuff Baby Products
- Your Baby’s Crib Bedding
- Your Basic Checklist for Baby Products
- Choosing Your Baby’s Crib Bedding